Home storage ideas
Find the right storage options for your home
Keeping our homes tidy is becoming a daily struggle. It always feels like there’s just never enough space to store all our clothes, toiletries, food, and other household items. However, with our clever storage options - you can keep on top of your mess and ensure that all your stuff is neatly tucked out of the way.
We’ve separated this buying guide by rooms of the house. In this article, we’ll talk you through the best picks for each room, from your living room to your bathroom, and help you to work out what you need to make the most of the space you’ve got.
It’s the first thing you see after a long day at work, and the first thing that your guests see when they walk through the front door. So, it’s important that you have a welcoming hallway that is bright, airy, and free from clutter.
Use wall hooks
Hang hooks on your walls for all your jackets, scarves, and hats. This will save valuable floor space which you can use for other storage units, such as a shoe rack or hallway storage bench.
Under stairs cupboard storage ideas
Have you got a cupboard under your stairs? Many of us aren’t utilising the space under our stairs as well as we could. It’s time to be clever with your under-stair storage to free up more space around the rest of the home.
- Make use of the space by storing your items in stackable plastic boxes
- Install some shelves in your cupboard to hold all your cleaning products and other small household items
- Keep your footwear neat and tidy by placing a freestanding shoe rack on the floor
- Install some hooks for hanging handbags, shoes, keys, or even your dustpan and brush
- The cupboard under the stairs is ideal for storing bulky items such as your ironing board or vacuum cleaner
Shoe storage ideas
Use Atomia storage to create your own custom hallway cupboard with built-in shoe storage. We’ve pre-designed a hallway storage unit for your corridor with space for hanging coats and storing shoes. If you’d prefer to design your own storage cupboard, find out how to use Atomia to build a hallway unit to suit your needs.
Use a narrow console table
Slim sideboards or console tables are great for bringing some storage space to your hallway. It’s also a great place to store letters, housekeys, and maybe even a vase of flowers.
The living room is one of the busiest rooms in the house. It’s a place to unwind after a long day, watch TV, entertain friends, play games, and so much more. One of the downsides of having such a busy room, is the sheer amount of clutter that can build up – in lightning speed. No matter how many times you tidy the room, within an hour the place looks like a mess again.
With the right living room storage, you’ll be able to stay on top of the mess and create a peaceful environment to relax in. Check out our lounge storage ideas and bring some calm to the chaos…
Living room shelf ideas
Looking for some shelving ideas for your lounge? We’ve got a few tucked up our sleeve…
- Open shelves are a great way of showing off your personality. Create a display wall by decorating your shelves with your favourite photos, paintings, books, and accessories.
- Use stylish storage boxes to hide remote controls, laptop chargers, and other stuff you’d rather not have on show.
- Use modular storage to create a shelving feature wall. If you’ve got a large living room to work with, why not cover an entire wall with modular storage? Not only will it give you loads of space, but it will also look super stylish and impactful.
- Get creative and upcycle unused items into a cool shelving display. You could upcycle an unused ladder or wooden crate with some furniture paint and use them as wall shelves..
Alcove shelving ideas
If you’re lucky enough to have alcoves in your living room, then make sure you utilise them as best you can. They are a fantastic way of using vertical space to store all your bits and bobs.
- Install some floating shelves and paint them the same colour as the walls for a cohesive look in your living room.
- DIY your own bespoke built-in cupboards to fit the space perfectly (or find a professional to do it for you!)
- Create a cosy reading nook. Put up some wall shelves for books and put an armchair in the corner. Voila! Now you’ve got a quiet little nook for curling up with your favourite book.
- Use your alcove as a home office. An alcove is a great place to tuck a desk and chair out of the way. Install shelves higher up the wall to store stationery and paperwork.
- Create your own custom alcove cupboard or shelving unit with Atomia modular storage.
Choose a TV unit with storage
For many of us the TV is the focal point in the room. Choose a television unit with storage so that you can keep your game consoles and other bits tucked out of the way. Or you could build some shelves or cabinets above or besides your TV for extra storage space.
From coffee tables to side tables, we're always adding new pieces to our range of home furniture.
The bedroom is our sanctuary, our place to find a moment of calm and rest after a long day. Make sure you have enough space for a blissful bedroom to escape to. Whether you need small bedroom storage ideas or tips for organising a wardrobe – we’re here to help.
When it comes to choosing storage furniture for bedrooms, we have plenty of options. Our range includes modular wardrobes, bedroom shelves, freestanding bedroom furniture, sliding doors and other accessories to keep your boudoir tidy.
With Atomia, you can build your bedroom storage to fit your needs. Design your dream walk-in wardrobe or build storage to fit awkward alcoves. The cabinets and drawers can be stacked and built to suit your space. From the internal accessories to the external doors, you have complete control. Find out more about our Atomia modular storage.
Wardrobe storage ideas
- Vacuum storage bags are great for storing unused clothes such as woolly jumpers or scarves in the winter. Store them above your wardrobe, or even under your bed.
- Divide your clothing into separate drawers or sections. Separate your underwear, nightwear, activewear, formalwear, dresses, trousers etc. – doing so will make it easier to find what you need quickly.
- Spend time folding your clothes properly. Don’t just throw your t-shirts and trousers into drawers, if you take the time to fold them properly – you’ll find you’ve got a lot more space.
- Have regular clear outs. Chances are that you don’t wear most of the clothes in your wardrobe. Have a regular sort out and sell or donate unused clothes to make more space.
- Got some spare rail space? Put up a hanging storage kit - ideal for storing folded t-shirts or jumpers.
From bedside tables to dressing tables, we're always adding new pieces to our range of bedroom furniture.
The average size of a family bathroom is around 2m x 2m. That’s not much. And most of the space in a bathroom is taken up by the sink, shower, and toilet. Which means that finding space for all your toiletries and beauty essentials can be tricky, to say the least. Don’t worry, we’ve got plenty of small bathroom storage ideas to help you create a peaceful sanctuary. From tall bathroom cabinets to under sink storage, there are loads of clever ways to utilise every spare bit of space. Read our bathroom storage ideas for inspiration and ideas on how to keep your bathroom neat and free from clutter.
From vanity units to bathroom cabinets, we're always adding new pieces to our range of bathroom storage furniture and cabinets.
Let's face it - kitchens can be very chaotic at times. Our kitchen cabinets and storage accessories will help you manage the mess that a busy kitchen brings with it. Read our kitchen storage buying guide and kitchen storage ideas for advice on making better use of limited and unused space. Improve access to hard-to-reach corners and free up kitchen worktop space with kitchen cupboard storage ideas.
From cabinet storage to cutlery trays, we're always adding new pieces to our range of kitchen storage and accessories.