diy.ie
diy.ie
Home
About Us
Contact Us
Advertise
Hints & Tips
 | 
Ask The Doctor
 | 
Competitions
 | 
Newsletter
 | 
Links


House hard to heat?
Suffer from Mould, Mildew or bad condensation?
Suffer from Rust, Corrosion?
for all your DIY needs!
Hints and Tips
Beware of lead paint.
Whereas the removal of paint containing lead should not normally affect adults, it may pose a risk to children. Lead is absorbed through the skin or by ingestion. If your children has been exposed to any kind of lead paint through fumes, flakes or dust, consult your local doctor for advise on the matter.

Adults should wear a respirator and ensure good ventilation. Do not eat or drink while working. Keep children away.

If you suspect old paint, make sure you use a paint stripper which creates a poultice which obviates the need for scraping and avoids fumes. All other paint removal methods pose a threat to young children. Chemical strippers generate fumes which may carry lead. Blow lamps and hot air strippers generate fumes and dust. Make sure you do not produce dust by sanding or scraping as this is very dangerous.

After you have completed the work, clean the area with a vacuum cleaner. Wash down the stripped surfaces and flooring nearby, using a detergent. Bag up all clothes and wash them thoroughly, separately from other clothes.

More Info

For more information on this topic please return to tips categories and select from the sub-category menu.

We hope you find this information both helpful and educational with regard to painting and decorating.

Thank you for your visit today we are constantly adding and updating our material so please visit with us again.
News
Hints & Tips
>>
>>
>>
Competitions


Need a Plumber? Find them fast with www.bustpipe.com


Greencarehome.com - First choice in the green marketplace
Hints & Tips
 | 
Ask The Doctor
 | 
Newsletter
 | 
Links